Welcome!

Making my journey through life, but taking you on my stops along the way!





Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cooking and Painting, Painting and Cooking

A night home alone, just me, a new recipe and those darn popsicle sticks. Most women would get a glass of wine and a bubble bath, but I grabbed my apron and a paintbrush! The remnants of Hurricane Lee are upon the East Coast, and it's going to be a rainy, chilly week, perfect soup weather! So I decided to Google a recipe and try it!

Now, I know this blog is about preparing for my wedding, but why not add a few extra topics now and then to spice things up. Anyway, I need to be well rounded and domesticated to become the next Martha Stewart (sans the insider trading/tax evasion situation).

So my mission for the night: Sweet Italian sausage tortellini soup. For this you'll need
Chicken broth 42oz (I used low fat and low sodium)
Garlic -the recipe calls for 5 minced cloves, I say use as wanted
Sweet italian sausage
Spinach (fresh or frozen, just be sure to strain frozen)
Tomatoes and mushrooms (optional)
Olive oil
White Wine (optional)
Tortellini

What you do is saute the sausage, garlic and some oil. Bring the broth and wine to a boil, add in the vegetables, bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and after that is cooked, add in the sausage.

I, being awful at math added wrong and didn't get enough broth.. but if you add water, works just the same (I just added extra spices to make up for it). Also, I left the soup in the pan, but most of the broth evaporated, so I need to get more broth for my leftovers, which I can't wait to bring to work for this week! TIP: double check your math, and don't leave it in the pan, soup should have plenty of broth, thats what makes it soup.

Anyway, it was pretty good, and I'm not really a huge soup fan. After I ate I decided to FINALLY finish the popsicle sticks that have been sitting in the kitchen for a week. The blue took forever, even though we primed them with white first. When we were halfway through the project, James mentioned spray paint, which would have saved us a ton of time and effort, but there's nothing like painting love all over each of the 150 popsicle sticks, so hand painting it was.

TIP: When painting, make sure that there is space between each item, because as it dries, it WILL stick and it WILL chip your hard work. Lesson Learned. Now I wished I had finished them on a timely manner, but not having power and having to take care of all my weekend errands after work sort of threw me off. TIP: Make sure that you know how much a project will take (time, supplies, mental stamina, etc). If its a larger project, make sure you break it up, but more importantly, don't give up on it, you'll feel SO much better when its actually done.

There is nothing like crafting with some music 'bumping' in the background with a yummy new meal to woo my future husband with =]

SNEAK PEAK at my next project! I'm going to be reviewing the My Memories software. Look up mymemories.com and take a look around, because there is a chance that YOU could win a copy of it for yourself!! Also, if there is something you'd like me to try out before you do it, I'm open to all and any suggestion!

Stay crafty my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment