Welcome!

Making my journey through life, but taking you on my stops along the way!





Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Nightstand Re-Fab: Part One

I was in such a foul mood all day. All I wanted to do was come home and lay down in the dark and sleep the night away. Why? I have no idea. Just middle of the week slump I guess. I wanted to go to the gym, but my bad mood threw that idea out the fitness window. I didn't want to waste my evening, so I decided to get a jump start on re-fabbing (re-fabulous-ing, new term, its probably the next big thing) a part of my bedroom beautification on a budget.

So the task, taking a nightstand that was my part of mom's bedroom set from when she was little and re-finishing it to go with my new room.

Here are the before pictures, it is a brown/gold, that turned green over time.. The paint started chipping and lifting in certain spots.
**Note my cat laying underneath the nightstand =D



Step One, Sanding. I have never sanded anything before, well I have, but nothing this intense or that I actually cared about working on. I had some help and advice from my dad on this one, which I am extremely grateful for. I took off the hardware for the drawer, which I will have to soak to get the rust off, but also I had to remove the wooden applique. One of them fell off during the move, and when I was taking the other off, it cracked. So rather than being able to save it for another project, it is beyond repair and in the big workshop in the sky. Now, when you start sanding something, start with the coursest sandpaper, and work your way to the finest piece. This will help get the last coat of paint or finish off, and then work the item down to getting a better paint job on the piece in the end. TIP: I recommend working outside, so the dust doesn't consume the inside of your home. TIP: I recommend using something firm to wrap the sand paper around, a block would work, to use for the edging or small cracks and crevises, otherwise your fingers will be killing you.. lesson learned =/

Progress pictures



Step Two, Painting. I've never painted a piece of furniture this detailed, but it wasn't that bad. TIP: Make sure you clean off all the dust before you start painting, using a wet cloth will work best. TIP: Taking long strokes, and not having a ton of paint on the brush made it a little easier to paint all the detail. This way there weren't any globs or drips that you'll have to go back and sand then paint over later.

Also, make sure there is enough lighting whereever you're painting, this way you'll be able to tell the spots you miss to get a better job done the first time around. Also, make sure everything is smooth and the paint it even on the surfaces.

I'm still working on the second coat but here is the nightstand of of now:


Still left to do: Second coat of paint, figure out how to get the rust off the hardware for the drawer and potentially figure out a new detail for the corners.

I don't know why, but just focusing on a project and letting all your frustration out was a great stress release, and now, I'm in a great mood! I'm really excited to finish the nightstand and see how the final product turns out!

Stay crafty, stay happy and stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Love the ideas Autumn! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love this! That sanding must have been exhausting!

    ReplyDelete